Insulrap™ 50 is a composite membrane consisting of a tough polymer film coated with a layer of rubberized-asphalt and is considered "peel and stick" and self-healing with a disposable silicone-coated release liner.
Insulrap™ 50 can be applied by cigarette wrapping. The silicone treated release liner should be removed immediately prior to the time of application. The adhesive surface of the membrane is applied to the insulation. Cigarette wrap applications should overlap a minimum of 3" onto itself. If the membrane is butted onto itself, cigarette wrapped 4" butt strips should be applied over the joints. Use pressure from a roller to insure the lap is well conformed to the insulation.
Insulrap™ 50 is available in two different product variations to meet your specific application needs:
- Insulrap™ 50 NG has a smooth surface and is recommended for "low debris" backfill direct burial applications where clean fill or sand backfill is used over the piping system, and
- Insulrap™ 50-SJ-NG offers an embedded fiberglass scrim reinforcement within the laminate for added durability and toughness. Fiberglass scrim is embedded in the laminate using a process that minimizes the scrim profile allowing for a smooth surface that enhances adhesion at the laps.
Insulrap™ 50 is available in 4" x 50', 23" x 75', or 35" x 75' rolls.
InsulShield™ is a puncture resistant "insurance" jacket installed over Insulrap™ products for in direct burial in ROCKY conditions. If you are not doing a sand backfill, you need to protect the Insulrap™ with the extra 400 psi of puncture resistance provided by InsulShield™.
Outerwrap™ is used on clean (and rocky) backfills to prevent damage to the Insulrap from soil stress. All that fresh dirt you piled over the pipe is going to settle, without a ‘slip-sleeve’ to absorb that movement, you will have issues.
Low Temperature Solvent Based Activator should be used when applying Insulrap™ products in temperatures below 50º F for enhanced adhesion.
VaporGuard™ Tape is a self-adhesive butyl sealant for use in vapor stops, expansion joints, and terminations on ammonia systems.
ZEROPERM® Tapes Two types of tapes are available to complete field installations, both use a high quality, acrylic adhesive with excellent cold weather performance. ZEROPERM® A Tape has a kraft release liner and is typically used for sealing longitudinal and circumferential laps. ZEROPERM® Self-Wound Tape has no liner, and is used on valves and fittings.
Features & Benefits
- Available in 2 product variations, smooth or with embedded scrim
- Proven: Used on millions of square feet of insulated pipe for over 20 years with excellent success.
- Self-Healing: rubberized bituminous membrane seals punctures. Self-sealing laps.
- No cure time required
- Uniform factory controlled thickness of 50 mils.
- Saves labor and materials compared to mastic/fab/mastic coatings.
- Superior elastomeric properties accommodate expansion and contraction of the substrate
- Highly resistant to water and vapor transmission
- White color for improved reflectivity in the field prior to jacketing
- Low Perm Vapor Barrier